Only one more year and the national LeadingAge conference for senior living providers will no longer take place over Halloween! My wife and kids will be much happier because I did my trick-or-treating at the big conference in Indianapolis last month…without themL. So what was everyone talking about? My bullet point take-aways:
- “A tendency to regard older persons as debilitated, unworthy of attention, or unsuitable for employment”
- As they have led the charge against racism and sexism, Boomers may lead the charge to defeat Ageism, because they’ll be the eventual target if things don’t change.
Boomer Expectations: Choice, Control, Community!
- Urban Walkable Communities
- Sustainability (lots of talk, need more action)
- Participation & Contribution throughout retirement years
- Innovative Contracts: Think no more entry fees, flexibility, maybe a time-share component!
- Wellness: see Centers for Healthy Living (last topic below)
- What does “Place” really mean? Is it the same home, apartment, building, campus, community, city?
- Do I have to change tables where I eat my meals?
- What do YOU expect?
“Would You Want to Live There?”
- A primary question the design and development team should be asking themselves as new projects are programmed and planned.
Margaret Duckworth on “GRIT”
- Talent x Effort = Skill
- Skill x Effort = Achievement
- Deliberate Practice: Set goal – Focus 100% – Get Feedback – Reflect / Refine – Repeat
Virtual Reality (VR):
- Coming to a headset near you…just imagine the possibilities!
- Maggie Calkins takes on New Jersey and wins!
- What is defined within accessibility codes isn’t necessarily ideal for a senior population
- “Equivalent facilitation” may be a route to designing better accommodations for residents and staff
Centers for Healthy Living: Presented by one of my mentors, Daniel J. Cinelli, Perkins Eastman Architects
- Help seniors become the strongest version of themselves
- Wellness = intersection of mind, body & spirit
- Program: pool, clinic, workout, meeting rooms, theater, café /juice bar and restaurants
- Lifelong Learning & Volunteering
- Live long, die fast!